Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Is it right or wrong?

I start most of my posts by asking the question, “Is this right or wrong?" If the answer is wrong, then I’m inclined to make a post. Take the contempt of court case of Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Is Arpaio wrong in how he conducts business? I think the answer is hell yes. Is there a story? I think so, and it’s important. Public officials are accountable to the law and can be held personally accountable too.
"In some instances I have to personally pay for attorneys to represent me in these cases," Arpaio wrote in an email Thursday. "I do not have the personal wealth or the wherewithal to keep up with the costly demands of paying for attorneys to defend me."
- via latimes.com
Arpaio made the case personal by targeting the wife of the judge with a private investigator, now he is asking the public topay for his legal bills. He has a long history of doing the same thing with political opponents. It is time that he is held accountable without taxpayers footing the bill. If his supporters are foolish enough to donate to his defense, then lets make sure its counted as income.
The Arpaio era needs to end. If the public cannot vote him out of office, let his own deeds seal his fate.