Sunday, September 04, 2011

Foodgasm - Damascus Grill in Denver

I don’t really know where to start on this review. I liked Damascus Grill in Denvereverything about the Damascus Grill. I found it on Yelp while looking for a quick meal near our hotel after flying into Denver last weekend. It was highly rated and my wife and I love Middle Eastern food. We drove the five miles to Littleton and found an unassuming building. We were immediately welcomed by a friendly hipster host. It’s a family owned place and our host was proud to explain that the recipes were handed down by his grandmother. This turned out to be true too. The flavors in the food were distinct and unique. I’ve eaten a lot of Middle Eastern food. This is among the best I’ve found in the United States.

I was a surprised to hear Matisyahu playing as the house music. Matisyahu is a Hasidic Jew and reggae artist. I’m a big fan. Yet the Damascus grill is a Muslim establishment. When the music changed to Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven, I asked our host about his choice in music. Our host was amazed that I knew of Matisyahu and went on to gush about how the music transcends culture and religion and makes him feel one with the rest of humanity. I could not argue with that, I’m an atheist who has seen Matisyahu in concert and owns every song he’s ever made. I think he’s a wonderful artist. 

GrillledMushroomsThe good vibes transferred to the table. We started with grilled mushrooms ($5.95). I could have ate a complete meal of just this one item. They were delicious. I’ve tried countless recipes myself. All fall short. These are the best grilled mushrooms I’ve ever had. I must have the recipe!

We completed the mushrooms with the pickle plate ($4.95). It’s full of pickled cucumbers, olives, and turnips.  I munched my way through it in happy pickle bliss.

Since it was a lunch visit we opted for sandwiches. I had the Syrian sausage sandwiches($5.95). My wife had the Lamb & Beef Shawarma ($6.45). It was at this point that the full on foodgasm entered the picture. The taste was so overwhelming we had to take breaks between bites to keep our systems from shutting down.

I highly recommend the Damascus Grill. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Technorati Tags: ,,