Thursday, June 16, 2011

Statement regarding the marriage of Eddie Long

Apparently Eddie Long and his wife Vanessa Long, is still intact. Art Franklin issued this statement on behalf of the Longs.

Despite a very public attack against New Birth Church and its leadership, New Birth has chosen not to respond to rumors but remain focused on fulfilling the mission that God has for the ministry.

However, in this new digital world, along with a steep decline in quality reporting, many people can't discern the difference between legitimate journalists and irresponsible bloggers. Recently, some blog entries have surfaced claiming to have anonymous sources stating that New Birth First Lady Elder Vanessa Long has left her husband. That claim is completely and absolutely false. Mrs. Long is very much a loving, dedicated and committed wife and mother.

It is unfortunate that anyone would make such hateful and damaging false claims of this nature. These cruel and insensitive rumors have the potential to cause immeasurable pain and suffering. Those involved should feel obligated to retract their earlier statements.

I’m not one of those irresponsible bloggers mentioned above. I did not speculated about the strength their marriage. I did not even know the name of the holy “first lady”. My speculation was all centered around Long’s lack of character. It still is. At this stage in the scandal, anything can happen. So I watch for the cracks to form. Eddie Long is on his way down. I fear it will be a long painful slide.

I’m surprised Long is married to a woman. I’m surprised a Christian did not fully disclose the nature of his lawsuit and the nature of the settlement. I’m surprised his church did not hold him accountable. I’m surprised anyone gives this church and its amoral materialistic pastor a dime of their hard earned money or a minute of their time. It literally boggles my mind that people follow this man.  

I love this bit, “…New Birth has chosen not to respond to rumors…”. And then they go ahead and respond to rumors.

Eddie Long, Hypocrisy