Sunday, January 03, 2010

Birding and photography

DSC_5385 I went birding on the Wetland preserve at Bolsa Chica yesterday. The Bolsa Chica conservancy maintains the wetlands. They do a fine job too. My trip yesterday was hurried. I only had an hour to shoot. Still, I produced 130 pictures, 5 or 6 of which were nice. I was fortunate enough to have somebody point out the rare American Bittern. I’ve never seen one before, even in captivity. My confirmed sightings are listed below.DSC_5395

  • Greater Scaup
  • Ruddy Duck
  • American Bittern - Rare!
  • Blue Winged Teal
  • Bufflehead
  • Ring Billed Gull
  • Long-Billed Curlew
  • Snowy Egret
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Great Egret
  • Black-crowned Night Heron
  • Northern Pintail
  • Red-breasted Merganser
  • Black-bellied Plover
  • American Avocet
  •  

    I need a better lens. My cheep 70 to 300mm is too slow for good work and lacks image stabilization. I’ll make do with what I have though. It is fun to shoot birds even with inferior equipment.

    Technorati Tags: ,