Monday, May 18, 2009

Public show of support for accused could send wrong message

I struggle with this issue myself. What do you do when when somebody you respect is charged with a heinous crime? When the victim is a child and the accused a priest, it is easy to say, "Look at all those foolish people." But if I am honest with myself, I would not turn my back on a friend. That is not to say that I would claim his innocence. But I would stand by him until the end. At least I hope I would.

This is why I am troubled by this article. It’s message is political.

David Clohessy, director of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, said vocal support for accused child molesters sends a damaging message to others who are being abused, whether at the hands of a priest or a parent: Don't tell. No one will believe you.

At the heart of every accusation is the victim and the accused. A trial is deeply personal experience.  The accused priest is not the church, he is just a man. If his supporters feel the need to visibly express their support, I support them. Of course, I look forward to the press interviews after the bastard is convicted.

In this case, Rev. Antonio Cortes is alleged to have sexually assaulted a 16-year-old boy. Cortes used the classic, get the boy drunk and use God to get in his pants technique. I think they teach that in seminary

Technorati tags: ,
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]