Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A prayer of peace

Maybe I'm working too hard. Or maybe, like my most recent email from a Christian, my heart is hardened to the good things in the world. I don't know what it is that makes me so cynical, perhaps its the endless parade of wasted prayers for people who have committed horrendous crimes. Like the pastor who offered a prayer of peace for woman who allegedly murdered her innocent two year old daughter.

"I miss that kiss on the cheek, that special hug. But to get a hug from a small child, that gives me energy like you couldn't imagine," said George Anthony, Caylee's grandfather.

Caylee was 2 when she disappeared last summer. Her remains were found in December. Her mother, Casey Anthony, has been charged with killing her and is in jail just a mile away from today's service.

Why does Casey Anthony deserve prayers? This feel good religious bullshit will not bring back a dead child. I’ll never understand, nor will I believe, not when a murder is treated like a saint. My gut reaction to this story was to retch.

Technorati tags: , ,