Sunday, November 18, 2007

Gideons losing influence

I have spent countless night in hotels rooms. Business sometimes keeps me away from home for weeks at a time. I am too picky when it comes to accommodations. Give me a quite room, air conditioning, and reliable Internet connectivity and I'm good. I don't need a bible, or a book of Mormon to make it through the night. In fact, when I find one it often pisses me off.

Newsweek is reporting that Gideons is losing its grip on American hotel room.

What might be surprising to many Americans is that the Bible-free room isn't a development just in hip New York City hotels. Across the country upscale accommodations are doing away with the Bible as a standard room amenity. And in its stead have arrived a slew of "lifestyle" products that cater to a younger, hipper (and presumably less religious) clientele. Since 2001 the number of luxury hotels with religious materials in the rooms has dropped by 18 percent, according to the American Hotel and Lodging Association. The Nashville-based Gideons International, which has distributed copies of the Christian scripture to hotels since 1908, declined to comment on this trend.

Source: Newseeek.com. So Long, Gideons. By Roya Wolverson.

Unfortunately, this trend is not a reflection of the crowing influence or market reach of Atheism. It is simply a reflection of hotels marketing their rooms as a good place to get laid. Sex is all good, except that I am usually in a hotel room alone. I'm no more likely to read a bible than I am to use the condom in the mini bar.

Technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

AHP said...

This could be happening because more than 30% of hotels are now owned by mostly Hindu Indians who don't believe in the bible. It is interesting how sex sells and profit drives business.